Thursday, March 24, 2016

Dealing With Cravings And How I Resist

I asked and someone delivered! 

 I asked you to let me know what I should write about and someone listened! 

Rachel, she use to come into Caribou all the time and I became close to her and her daughter, Kelsey. She asked a question I get all the time! 

"I would love to know about how you work through days when eating healthy is tough for you. How did you cross that threshold? Any specific strategies that you use?"

That's a great one, considering the other night I had a dream that I was at a birthday party where I ate a half a pizza, two muffins, a cookie, a donut, a cupcake and ice cream all in about 30 minutes. I woke up pretty hungry! 

The truth is, I never get over those cravings, especially in hard times, but I never give in. 

Right. But how!? 

I think of how I use to be, how I ate, how I felt and how I looked or how about the fact that walking made it hard to breathe? What got me there? Giving in to those bad cravings to have a gallon or 5 of ice cream. I use to feel slow and greasy and sweaty all the time, I like how I feel now! And, I know that if I give in to a pile of cupcakes, I will hate myself for a long time afterwords. 

Oh, and I can hear my trainers voice in my head saying "so, how's that nutrition going for you?" (Thanks, Kirk, you're haunting me.) 

I'm not always perfect, either. I do allow myself a sensible cheat every now and then, but I don't do a cheat day... Usually it's a cheat item. My metabolism still isn't in a place where it's use to healthy eating, my body still holds onto a lot of crap if I allow it into my system.. So I choose to avoid it if possible. 

Another tip is to find substitutes! Here are some of my favorites:

-Frozen Blueberries! I CRAVE ice cream daily, hell, hourly. These are a great sweet tooth fix! One cup is 100 calories or less!

-Almond milk, one of my favorite cheat items is to heat up organic dark chocolate almond milk. Boom. Hot chocolate!

- Angie's boom chicka pop popcorn. It's gluten free and free of chemicals and such. I may be addicted to it, but a handful is more than satisfying. But, confession time, I'm not perfect and I have enjoyed a full bag in one sitting. Oops. 




 

-Almonds. Great for energy, buy the emeralds 100 calorie packs and keep them in your purse or desk. (NOT THE FLAVORED ONES!!!) 

-Sweet Potato.. Ever had a craving for a hamburger but don't want the carbs of the bun. Slice a sweet potato into thin, round pieces, roast them. Put your burger between two of those pieces. You're so very welcome ;). 

Another tip, load up on protein and healthy fats. Carbs make you crave things, protein fills you up! 

I also eat more smaller meals throughout the day, not three meals. That's a load of crap. If I only ate three times a day, not many people would like me. You'll be hungry less if you eat 6 smaller meals a day. Try eating a little something every two hours! And it's true, never skip breakfast!!!! I'm absolutely miserable if I don't eat before 9am!

I'm not an expert, I've gone through the lifestyle change and I know what it's like. I'm here to share with you what worked for me and that's all! 

Hope that answered your question, Rachel! 



No comments:

Post a Comment